On February 2-4, 2021, the training “Public Participation in the Work of the Parliament and the Legislative Process. Advocacy” was conducted. Its participants were representatives of NGOs cooperating with the three Model Committees of the VR of Ukraine: Committees on Humanitarian and Information Policy, on Environmental Policy and Nature Management, and on State Building, Local Governance, Regional and Urban Development.
The sessions were conducted in videoconference mode.
During this training, the participants:
• learned how the Ukrainian parliament works (functions, forms of operation);
• studied the structure of the VRU and of the VRU’s Secretariat;
• reviewed the stages of the legislative process, the specifics of the budget process;
• reviewed the concept of public participation in the work of the parliament;
• learned about the tools of public participation, the possibility to use them in the legislative process and in performing the oversight function of the parliament;
• reviewed the concepts of advocacy and lobbying, examples of successful international and domestic experience of campaigning;
• learned about the specifics of parliamentary advocacy;
• made the first steps in developing an advocacy campaign strategy.
The training was conducted within the framework of the Model District Initiative of the USAID RADA Program implemented by the East Europe Foundation with the support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The Model Committee provides for the creation of tools to involve citizens in the work of the Committees; research of possibilities for increasing the legislative capacity and involvement of executive bodies in work of the Committees; creation of permanent advisory bodies to develop policy recommendations for the preparation of draft laws; promoting the development of policy recommendations for Committee work; support for the development, acquisition and integration of comprehensive IT solutions for the work of MPs/Committee staffers; development of trainings and tools for use by the Committees of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine; supporting donors’ joint efforts to implement sectoral reforms using the effective tools of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Committees.