USAID Supports Transformation and Strengthening the Work of the Accounting Chamber of Ukraine (ACU) into Independent Oversight Institution: USAID RADA Program organized international parliamentary technical assistance coordination meeting “Strengthening parliamentary oversight and role of institutions” on March 28. Valerii Patskan, the newly elected Chairman of the ACU, highlighted objectives and strategies of the work. Ivan Krulko, Member of Parliament and Chairman of the Subcommittee on State Financial Control, spoke how to enhance the working relations between the VR and ACU. Vasyl Nevidomyi, Member of the ACU, made a presentation on “Priorities for reforming ACU capacity”. Ihor Kogut, COP of USAID RADA Program, presented an analytical paper “Cooperation of the ACU, the Parliament, and civil society organizations”, which was produced by the USAID RADA Program and the Delegation of the European Union to Ukraine. Around 25 representatives of technical support programs attended the event came to discuss coordination of activities with newly elected Accounting Chamber.
Please find main statements of the speakers below:
Valerii Patskan, newly elected Chairman of the ACU:
I am more than convinced that with the newly elected ACU we will strengthen parliamentary oversight. It is important for us to get partnership and support of international organizations, technical support programs in the training of ACU staff and other areas.
I want the ACU to work on the basis of international experience. Now we are developing a strategy of efficient parliamentary oversight of all revenues and expenditures of the Ukrainian budget.
Ihor Kogut, COP of USAID RADA Program:
Election of the ACU is an important event for us in the view of strengthening oversight functions of the VR. We have already made a basis for future cooperation publishing an analytical paper “Cooperation of the Accounting Chamber, the Parliament, and civil society organizations” in cooperation with the Delegation of the European Union to Ukraine.
Vasyl Nevidomyi, Member of the ACU:
ACU is interested in forming an effective partnership with technical assistance programs for the formation of a new quality of the audit institution.
Possible ways of reforming the Accounts Chamber with the participation of international organizations/technical support program:
- Inventory of opportunities and current status of cooperation with USAID, GIZ, SIGMA, TWINING and others to eliminate overlapping, training sessions for auditors, and strengthen the institutional capacity of the ACU
- Determining the level of staff required to implement legislation and conduct audits in accordance with ISSAI;
- Conducting pilot audits/exercises with the participation of experts;
- Conduct a series of hands-on training sessions with leadership and stakeholders
- Completion of the development of the manual on financial audit
- Updating of information-analytical system of ACU and training of applied audit software
- Review of General Recommendations on Auditing Effectiveness of using public funds and its compliance with the ISSAI
- Cooperation with the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Government, the public, in particular by providing appropriate support and public access to the reports of the ACU and monitoring the implementation of audit recommendations
- Measurement criteria for implementation SAI PMF
- Functional review/Self Assessment/Needs Assessment
- External Assessment/Functional Review
- Recommendations for the implementation of appropriate intervention mechanisms for capacity building as the basis for the development of the Strategic Plan;
- Finalizing and launching the projectTWINING
Ivan Krulko, Member of Parliament and Chairman of the Subcommittee on State Financial Control:
I hope that we will have new forms of work on the basis of the committee hearings. We want to use the work of joint briefings of the ACU and the Committee to inform the society. I would like to jointly organize an event on how to enhance working relations with the ACU, the VR and civil society.