USAID RADA Program, together with IFES and NDI, organized the Forum "Our Money in Politics: Version 3.0" on October 19. Around 100 of participants (MPs and their teams, representatives of the civil sector, international organizations, journalists) were involved in the discussion.
Attendees of the forum discussed key problems of state financing (Ukrainian realities and international experience), as well as control over financial costs (reports, inspections, sanctions).
During his opening remarks, Roman Waschuk, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Canada to Ukraine, noted that, “Oversight, regulation and the strategic allocation of resources within the NAPC in pursuing its mandate and obtaining visible, substantial results is essential, though it is important that this does not limit the pluralism and political activity that is essential for democracy.”
Judith Gough, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to Ukraine, stressed that, “Party political financing should be based upon the core principles of transparency, accountability and trust.”
At the forum, there was a general consensus amongst the speakers on the following important steps that need to be undertaken to strengthen transparency and regulation of money in Ukrainian politics:
- Harmonizing the rules governing campaign finance in local elections with the rules governing party finance and campaign finance in the presidential and parliamentary elections;
- Delineation of powers of the state bodies in charge of supervising political finance, in particular, the NAPC, respective election commissions, and the Accounting Chamber of Ukraine;
- Revision of legal provisions for political finance reporting that would provide for the establishment of an electronic platform for party and candidate financial reporting;
- Establishment of effective, proportionate and dissuasive sanctions for political finance violations;
- Adoption of a methodology for evaluating donations given to political parties;
- Increased civic awareness of significance of political finance reform implementation and active engagement into the process of its monitoring.
- The full text of the statement in English and Ukrainian is attached to this email.
Pictures from the event are available here. You are welcome to use pictures from our galleries with credit given to IFES. You can also contact us if you would like high-resolution pictures.
This event was made possible with funding from USAID, Global Affairs Canada and UK aid.