The Agenda for June 30 includes several important bills:
1) Draft Law on Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine on Improving the Process of Planning the Drafting Law Work of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (5178 dated 01.03.2021), submitted by Ruslan Stefanchuk, First Deputy Chairperson of the VRU, and other MPs. The draft law was prepared in order to ensure the effective work of the parliament and improve the planning process for the preparation of bills. The bill proposes, for example:
- to change the deadline for approval of the Plan and provide for appropriate deadlines for submission of proposals to the Plan for the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the VRU committees;
- to stipulate that the VRU Secretariat ensures the publication on the VRU official website of generalized information on the status of preparation and consideration of issues approved by the Plan, as well as the maintenance of the relevant database;
- to introduce reporting on the implementation of the Plan;
- to form the agenda of the session taking into account the priority of consideration of issues specified in the Plan;
- to specify in the explanatory note attached to the bill information on the inclusion of the issue in the approved Plan for the year;
- to introduce current planning in the work of committees, as well as changes in reporting taking into account the Plan, etc.
This bill can contribute to a more thoughtful and predictable work of the Parliament.
It should be noted that the Plan of drafting laws for 2021 was adopted by Resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine of February 2, 2021 № 1165-IX.
So, it is proposed to specify that the VRU Secretariat provides for the publication on the official website of generalized information on the status of preparation and consideration of issues approved by the plan, as well as maintaining a database containing information on the bills. The draft law improves the implementation of the plan, but does not address the issue of identifying priority components of the plan and its proper preparation.
The alternative bill (submitted by Yuliia Tymoshenko and other MPs) on amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On the Rules of Procedure of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine” in order to bring the process of planning process of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine in line with procedural guidelines on the rights and responsibilities of the opposition in the democratic parliament (5178-1 dated 16.03.2021) is aimed at introducing the formation of the agenda of plenary meetings taking into account the legislative initiatives of all MPs “on a proportional basis in accordance with the quantitative composition of parliamentary factions (groups) and non-affiliated MPs, and no more than 20 bills per day”.
2) Draft Law on Amendments to the Code of Administrative Procedure of Ukraine regarding the Jurisdiction of Cases to the Supreme Court as a Court of First Instance (5067 dated 15.02.2021) was submitted by the President of Ukraine.
According to the bill, all litigations challenging acts of central executive bodies, state regulators and any other subject of power that extend it to the entire territory of Ukraine are removed from the exclusive jurisdiction of the District Administrative Court of Kyiv and will be transferred to the Supreme Court as the court of first instance. The appellate court in such disputes will be the Grand Chamber of the Supreme Court. This bill reduces the role and influence of the District Administrative Court of Kyiv.
The VRU will also consider:
- Report of the Temporary Special Commission of the VRU on Protection of Investors’ Rights;
- Draft Law on Amendments to the Law of Ukraine “On Civil Service” on Expanding the Range of Persons Who Can Apply for Admission to the Civil Service (4361 dated 11.11.2020);
- Draft Resolution on the implementation of the National Plan for Reducing Emissions from Large Combustion Plants (5129 dated 22.02.2021), aimed at achieving important environmental standards;
- Draft Laws on Amendments to Some Laws of Ukraine on Improving the Procedure for Early Termination of Powers of a Local Head (Mayor) (5241, 5241-1). The main bill was submitted by Roman Lozynskyi and other MPs, the alternative one – by Yuliia Tymoshenko and other MPs. The draft laws are aimed at simplifying the process of calling early elections in case of early termination of the powers of the local heads. The Committee recommends that the bill “as a result of consideration in the first reading be adopted as a basis and as a whole”;
- Draft Law on Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Concerning the Term of Activity of Temporary Special and Temporary Commission of Inquiry of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (5335), which proposes to provide for the possibility of extending the term of the temporary special and temporary commissions of inquiry of the VRU.